Ep #42: How We Show Up is a Choice
Recorded Live on KKNW1150. Join me and special guest, Deidre Harris — an educational consultant that specializes in team building and conflict resolution. Today we talk about authenticity, bias, and being WILLING to step into uncomfortable conversations!.
Today’s guest is Deidre Harris, an educational consultant that helps administrators with training, policies, and procedures to reduce challenging behaviors in the classroom. Also, she works with teaching teams on conflict resolution and team-building.
Key takeaways from this episode:
- There is a difference between being on a team and actually “teaming.”
- It should feel easier for us to show up as our authentic selves, but sadly it can be more difficult.
- We have control over how we show up in our lives. Be responsible for the energy you are putting out.
- Live by the impact of your actions, not by your intentions.
- It is extremely important that we recognize and take accountability for our own biases. We all have them.
- We must be willing to have uncomfortable conversations in order to move forward and bring healing.
- Awareness is key. Being willing to look at what is happening in the world.
- The world has come to a stop. Because we have not been distracted, we have had to live with our thoughts.
- There is no opting out of these times. We are in it together.
- Even though you may not be actively contributing to racism, you may be benefiting from systemic racism and biases. You must take action.
- Silence is complicity.
Deidre Harris Website
Learn how Deidre uses a four-step conflict resolution and communication process that builds trust – allowing teams to work through common disagreements and challenging conflicts.
With courage, kindness, and grace,
p.s. The heart story…
The uneven edges in Gary’s hand-crafted hearts is what makes them meaningful. Every one is unique, just like all of us. Click below to learn more about these little treasures or request an imperfect heart.