#27 Purpose and Perfection
Recorded live on 1150KKNW with special guest Dr. Laura Hamill. Now, more than ever, it’s essential to encourage employee well-being. Laura joins me from the Limeade Institute, where she is Chief Science Officer and shares with us some of the groundbreaking research in employee engagement and creating a culture of positivity.
Today’s guest is the founder, Chief People Officer, and Chief Science Officer of the Limeade Institute. Through her work she helps build great places to work and drives groundbreaking research in architecting employee engagement strategies. I am deeply honored to have Dr. Laura Hamill, one of my biggest mentors, as our special guest on Episode #27!
Key takeaways from this episode:
- It is possible to be yourself, be human, and a leader at the same time.
- What differentiates us is our people. We need to think differently about how we treat them daily.
- To be a good leader, you need to have empathy. But it is not enough to just have empathy; you also need to have compassion.
- When you act in a forward-thinking way and make things better for your employees, you are building a better workplace.
- Instead of striving for perfection in the workplace, why not put more effort into making people want to come to work. When employees are generally excited about the work they do and the people they are with, organizations are better off in multiple ways.
- Look people in the eyes. See them as human beings and connect with them. Understand that everybody has a story and a background, that there are things they care about and worry about outside of work.
- Dehumanization is the biggest issue that we face right now.
- You can have it all, but you cannot have it all perfectly. To have it all, you have to let go of perfection – it is exhausting, and what is holding you back.
- It is a human thing to look to others for validation, but while it matters what people think, what matters more is how you feel and think about yourself.
Laura Hamill LinkedIn
Find out more about Laura, the work she does at Limeaide.
Present Over Perfect
Mentioned on the show today, Present Over Perfect is bestselling author Shauna Niequist’s motto for how to live a rich, engaged, and loving life in the midst of what often feels messy and imperfect.
With courage, kindness, and grace,
p.s. Don’t wait – start your ‘stop doing list’ now!
Download this free workbook to create your STOP DOING LIST. That’s right, it’s time to prioritize what lights you up and eliminate the things that drain you. Let’s go!