#24 Connections Change Everything
Recorded live on 1150KKNW with special guest Kimberly Layne. Human connection is when two people exchange energy and emotion. With technology, it’s easier to disengage and unconsciously separate ourselves. Today, Kimberly and I talk about the power of human connection and how important it is to consciously make time to practice it as a leader in today’s workplace.
Today’s guest is a professional speaker, consultant, and author of the book ‘Connections Change Everything.’ Her work speaks to the importance of transparency, vulnerability, and helping people feel valued. I am thrilled to have Kimberly Layne as my guest on Episode #24 today!
Key takeaways from this episode:
- Show an act of kindness and compassion.
- Authentic connections start with compassion and civility.
- A connection is the exchange of energy and emotion.
- It’s easy to hold back who you are, and only bring up the parts of yourself that feel is ‘acceptable.’ There is freedom once you can let go and be 100% you.
- We spend a large percentage of our lives at work. As a leader, you have a chance to create connections and help create a sense of community and well-being among your organization.
- There is value in slowing down to connect with others. When we have meaningful connections, it impacts the level of happiness in our lives.
- Using technology, we tend only to interact, and not connect.
- Three things you can do to provide more opportunities to connect daily: 1.) Instead of texting, make a call. 2.) Instead of sending an email, find your co-worker, and start a conversation. 3.) Practice active listening. Use eye contact, ask validating questions.
- Women have three natural talents as leaders: intuition, high emotional intelligence, and nurturing of collaboration.
- Being open to your imperfections and vulnerability helps people open up and do the same.
Kimberly inspires others to feel more empowered, share their voice, and be more comfortable in their own shoes. Visit her website to learn more.
The Book: Connections Change Everything
With technology, we are slowly disengaging and unconsciously separating ourselves. Kimberly’s book is about feeling more connected at work and giving leaders the tools to practice connected leadership daily.
With courage, kindness, and grace,
p.s. The heart story…
The uneven edges in Gary’s hand-crafted hearts is what makes them meaningful. Every one is unique, just like all of us. Click below to learn more about these little treasures or request an imperfect heart.