#18 Goals vs. Intentions
Here we are – kicking off 2020 with a live radio show every week! Thank you for joining me in this brand-new Season. Today I’m going to reflect on my journey of the past year, and then we’ll explore the differences between setting goals and intentions. Stop and ask yourself – what will you spend your energy on this year?
Key takeaways from this episode:
- Ambiguity and not knowing where things will lead is ok – be open to possibility.
- There is so much pressure to do things perfectly, in all areas, all at once. All the ‘shoulds’ can leave us exhausted.
- Being flawed is not a bad thing; it’s a human thing.
- There is beauty in things that are odd and imperfect.
- Instead of setting resolutions, consider choosing 2 to 3 words that you will focus on (i.e. mine are boundaries + self-care) and one habit to focus on for 2020.
- We all get to choose how we show up in the world. Who do you want to be today?
- Intentions are not rooted in perfection or shame. They keep you present and flexible.
- Consider Journaling daily. Ideas: What are you grateful for? What do you dream about? What are you good at? Set an intention or word for the day.
- Whatever you focus on expands. What will you spend your energy on this year?
These beautifully crafted imperfect hearts are made by my friend Gary. Fate brought us together, and ordering hearts from Gary and giving them to those who need one has been a joyful part of my journey.
10% Happier Podcast with Dan Harris
An excellent podcast hosted by Dan Harris, a ABC newsman who had a panic attack live on Good Morning America, which led him to something he always thought was ridiculous: meditation. He wrote the bestselling book, “10% Happier,” and now, in this podcast, Dan talks with smart people about whether there’s anything beyond 10%.
With courage, kindness, and grace,
p.s. The heart story…
The uneven edges in Gary’s hand-crafted hearts is what makes them meaningful. Every one is unique, just like all of us. Click below to learn more about these little treasures or request an imperfect heart.