#10 Resistance: Own It, Fight It, Win!
Why do we do things over and over that don’t help us or make us feel our best? Do you wonder how to be more self-disciplined? We all have resistance in our lives. But, do you realize how it shows up? In this episode, I will help you fight resistance and win!
Key takeaways from this episode:
- What is resistance? The sluggish feeling of not wanting to do something that you know is good for you.
- Science has found resistance lights up the same part of the brain that negative emotions light up.
- Resistance happens anytime we are trying to do something big, hard, or different.
- Resistance can show up differently for everyone — busyness, procrastination, distraction, fear doubt, instant gratification, negative self-talk, pride, self-deception.
- Don’t let resistance win! Resistance hates action and hopefulness.
- Four things you can do to fight resistance:
- Expect resistance, it’s inevitable.
- Notice it when it happens. Put a little distance between yourself and the resistance you feel.
- Open yourself up. Call resistance by name, and start to change your brains response.
- Crush it! Just say “See ya later, not today!” and watch it have less power over you.
Resisting Happiness by Matthew Kelly
Book I read last week on vacation. A good look at why we sabotage ourselves, feel overwhelmed, set aside our dreams, and lack the courage to be ourselves.
Resucceed by James Colburn
My introduction to resistance and James will be episode 11’s guest!
The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins
Watch this video and hear her amazing comeback and ‘5 Second Rule’ strategy.
With kindness, courage, and grace
p.s. Never miss an episode!
I hope you are enjoying my podcast. Each month I send a letter out with the latest episode and ideas and tools that I believe are worth sharing. Get all the best content – directly in your inbox! Sign up today!